Where to get help and advice

A resident having an appointment with an adviser

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit www.stockton.gov.uk/coronavirus

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit www.stockton.gov.uk/testing

There are many organisations providing help and advice on benefits. The details of our Welfare Rights Service, Stockton District Advice and Information Service and the Back on track crisis support scheme are shown below. You will find the majority of organisations on this page and further adult support services in our Stockton Information Directory.


Welfare Rights Service

Our Welfare Rights Service provides free, confidential, independent and impartial advice and information on welfare benefits to Stockton Borough Council residents. The service recognises that individuals must make their own decisions and so we aim to provide individuals with the information to be able to exercise their rights.

Acting on Your Behalf
If you have recently had a social security benefit claim turned down and are appealing against this, we may be able to act on your behalf if you are referred to us by any of the following: 

  • A Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council service, for example:

  - Adult or Children’s Services

  - Blue Badge Customer Services

  - Housing Options

  - Revenues and Benefits Service

  • Stockton and District Advice and Information Service

  • Your MP

  • Your Ward Councillor

Alternatively if you are a member of the armed forces community, including dependent families (regular personnel, reservists, veterans, bereaved), please contact us.


If you are receiving a service from any of the agencies listed above, please ask your key worker to make a referral to us.


Contact Welfare Rights

Telephone: 01642 526141 
Opening hours: Monday to Thursday, 8.30am - 5pm, Friday, 8.30am - 4.30pm, Closed Saturday


Energy Bills

If you are in concerned about your bills, speak to your supplier as payments could be reassessed, reduced or paused.

If you, or someone you know, is vulnerable such is of pensionable age, has children under 5, a disability or long-term medical condition, it is important to let your energy supplier know immediately. Each energy supplier keeps a Priority Services Register of people who may need additional assistance.

Here is a list of the energy companies and contact details for your reference.

Name Telephone No
British Gas 0333 202 9802
EDF 0333 200 5100 on call 0345 052 0000
Npower 0800 073 3000
Scottish Power 0800 027 0072
SSE 0345 026 2658
Bulb 0300 303 0635
Co-op Energy 0800 093 7547
E Energy 0333 103 9575
Green Network Energy 0800 520 0202
Green Star Energy 0800 012 4510
Omni Energy 0113 457 3219
Ovo 0330 102 7517
Robin Hood Energy 0800 030 4567
Utilita 0345 207 2000


Food Banks

Every day people in the UK go hungry for reasons ranging from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. Food banks provide emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis in the UK.

There are organisations which can help, the most up to date details of which can be found on our Food Banks webpage and the SWAN website.


Stockton District Advice and Information Service (SDAIS)

SDAIS (Citizens Advice Bureau) provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

For further information contact Stockton District Advice and Information Service.

Advice Line: 03442 451295

For mobiles: 0300 3300650

For appointments: 01642 633877

Visit the Stockton and District Advice and Information Service website for further information.


Grant and Loan Assistance

Grant and loan assistance for vulnerable customers is a discretionary scheme which provides support to residents in crisis situations as well as those settling into the community.

Visit our Welfare Assistance webpage for further information.


Stockton Welfare Advice Network (SWAN)

Stockton Welfare Advice Network provides free information on a range of issues affecting the people living in Stockton Borough, including information on benefits, housing, debt, and health.

Visit the SWAN website for further information on the service.


Tees Credit Union

Tees Credit Union provides convenient and easy access to basic financial services like savings accounts and loans to people who live or work in the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees.

Visit the Tees Credit Union website for further information.


Tax Help for Older People

Tax Help for Older People provides independent free tax advice for older people on low incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional advice.

Visit the Tax Help for Older People website for further information.


Student Finance on GOV.UK

Full-time higher education students from England can apply for finance online on the GOV.UK website. Parents and partners of students are also able to support an application online.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction