Verification of claims

council tax

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Verification is a minimum set of standards about the information we can accept to support claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

It encourages accuracy in calculating benefit claims from the beginning, and helps to detect and prevent fraudulent claims.


How verification will affect you

When you make a new application for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, you need to prove your identity. You can do this by providing proof of your National Insurance Number(s) for both you and your partner.

An original document from the following list is acceptable:

P45/P60 Printed (not hand-written) payslips
Income Tax letter Notification letter from the Department for Work and Pensions
National Insurance number card Award letters for State Benefits

You also need to provide us with one of the documents on the following list:

If you do not have a National Insurance number or an original document with your number on it, you need to provide us with TWO different original documents from the following list:

Bank statements dated within the last four weeks Certificate of employment in HM Forces
Certificate of employment in the Merchant Navy Certificate of employment under the crown
Child Benefit book Current valid Passport
Divorce or annulment papers Full driving licence
Full or short birth certificates Home Office Standard Acknowledgement Letter (SAL 1 or 2)
Letter from a Solicitor, Social Worker or Probation Officer Life assurance or insurance policies
Local authority rent card or Council Tax bill Marriage certificate
Medical Card National identity card issued by a European Economic Area Member state
Printed wage slips from current employer UK Resident Permit
Utility bill - paid in your name for the last quarter  

If you cannot provide any documents from this list, please call 01642 393829 for further advice.  

If you have not been able to provide us with evidence of your or your partner's National Insurance number, but you have provided the alternative documents, we will contact the Department for Work and Pensions and ask them to supply your National Insurance number. The Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support application form will list any further evidence you may need to provide depending on your circumstances.

Once your original documents have been checked, verified and copied by us, we will return them to you the same day.

You can take original documents to your local Customer Services Centre who will take a photocopy, confirm the original document has been seen and return your documents while you wait. 

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.


Further information

If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, please contact us using our online contact form.

Contact us online about Benefits

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction