For Coronavirus information including the current restrictions, any disruptions to Council services, how to book a COVID-19 test and the support available for residents and businesses visit

Information for claimants with non-dependants

A non-dependant is a person over 18 years of age who normally lives with you, such as an adult son or daughter, or parent. We may reduce your weekly benefit if you have a non-dependant living in the property with you.

The level of deductions are set each year by the Government and will depend on the age, circumstances and income of the non-dependant.


Exceptions for non-dependants deductions

There is no deduction for non-dependants if either you or your partner: 

  • Are registered blind
  • Receive Attendance Allowance
  • Receive the care component of Disability Living Allowance or the daily living component of the Personal Independance Payment.

Additionally there is no deduction if your non-dependant is:

  • Under 18
  • Under 25 and on:

  - Income Support

  - Income-based Jobseekers Allowance

  - Income-related Employment and Support Allowance which does not include an amount for the support component or work-related activity component, or

         - Universal Credit calculated without earned income.

  • Receiving Pension Credit
  • A full time student or healthcare student.
  • Participating in 'work based training for young people' (formerly Youth Training).


Youth Trainees

If you or someone who lives with you is a youth trainee it may affect your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support.

 Apply online for a Council Tax Discount for Youth Trainees



If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice it may affect your Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support.

Apply Online for a Council Tax Discount for Apprenticeships 

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction