Benefit Fraud

council tax

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

We want our customers to get the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support they are entitled to. One way we do this is by having minimum levels of evidence we need to support each benefit claim.

This minimum level of evidence discourages people from claiming benefit that they are not entitled to and helps us to detect those who do.

Once a claim for benefit has been made the applicant must tell us straight away of any changes in their circumstances.


How we check the information you have supplied

We conduct checks to confirm if the information we hold is correct. We will do this in one of the following ways:

  • We might visit you at home
  • We may write to you to check information

All information that you have supplied will be checked. This could include information about:

  • Your income
  • Any capital that you might have
  • People who live in your household
  • The amount of rent that is charged

We may match the information we hold with the information held by others, such as:

  • The Department for Work and Pensions
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Employers
  • Pension providers

If someone does not give us the correct information or does not tell us of a change of circumstances this can be classed as benefit fraud.

It is a criminal offence to commit benefit fraud and we deal with instances in line with our prosecution policy.


Report suspected fraud

Benefit fraud is a criminal offence and it reduces the money available to help those who need help. Housing Benefit fraud can be reported in three ways.

Contact the National Benefit fraud hotline on 0800 854 440.
Your call is free and confidential you do not have to give your name and address. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 6.00pm. If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512 or Welsh speakers can call 0800 678 3722.

Report Benefit Fraud on the GOV.UK website.

By Post
Write to us at National Benefit Fraud Hotline, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 2BP.

To report Council Tax Support fraud only

Telephone: 01642 393829

Email: [email protected] 

By post: Council Tax Support Investigation Team, Revenues and Benefits Service, PO Box 410, Stockton-on-Tees, TS23 2YD

You do not need to give your name. Any information you give us will be treated confidentially.

Find further advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction