For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

How to appeal against your Council Tax bill

Appeals against Council Tax liability, discounts, reductions and exemptions

You can appeal your bill if you think we’ve made a mistake, for example

  • You think you are not liable to pay Council Tax
  • You think you should get a discount and we are not giving you one, or we are not giving you the correct amount of discount
  • You think your property should be exempt from Council Tax

To do this write to us, stating that you’d like to make an appeal and detailing your reasons why.

If you make an appeal to us and you don’t agree with the decision, or we fail to notify you within two months, you have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

If you make an appeal you must continue paying the instalments shown on your bill.


Appeals against your Council Tax band

The level of Council Tax you pay depends on the valuation band of your property. The band your property is in is the responsibility of the Valuation Office Agency rather than the Council.

If you think your home is in the wrong Council Tax valuation band you may be able to make an appeal against the banding. If you make an appeal, please continue to pay your Council Tax.

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) provides guidance if you disagree with your band.


Further information

If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, please contact us using our online contact form.

Contact us online about council tax


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction