The Government has announced 'Local COVID alert level: high' restrictions for Stockton-on-Tees.

For further information about the rules and disruptions to Council services visit

Second Adult Support

Second Adult Support is a type of Council Tax Support. It is worked out differently to main Council Tax Support.

Second Adult Support is not based on your or your partner’s income but on the income of other people of 18 years and over who live in your home who are known as ‘second adults’.

Second Adult Support is to help people of pension age who would have received a Council Tax discount if a ‘second adult’ were not living in the property. Under the Council Tax Support rules you are classed as 'pension age' when you reach the qualifying age for Pension Credit.

Visit the GOV.UK website to check when you will be classed as pension age.


Who can apply for Second Adult Support?

The basic rules to apply for Second Adult Support are:

  • You or your partner must be of pension age.
  • You must be a single person, or a couple where one of you is a ‘discounted person’.
  • There must be at least one ‘second adult’ living in your home.
  • A person living in your home is not a ‘second adult’ if they are:

- Under 18 years

- A ‘discounted person

- A joint tenant or joint owner of the property

  • No-one must pay you or your partner rent for living in the property.

You can apply for second adult support even if you and your partner have capital over £16,000.


Who is a ‘discounted person’?

A 'discounted person' is someone who, for Council Tax purposes, does not count towards the number of adults who live in a property.

For example:

  • Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and modern apprentices.
  • Patients living in hospital or nursing homes.
  • People who are severely mentally impaired.
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or have just left school.
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18.
  • People in prison.


How Second Adult Support is worked out

If all the ‘second adults’ living with you receive one of the following benefits your award will be 25% of your Council Tax charge:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

If any ‘second adults’ who live with you do not receive one of these benefits, the amount of second adult support depends on the gross income of these second adults. If the gross weekly income of the other adults is:

  • Less than £215.00 your award will be 15% of the council tax charge.
  • Is not less than £215.00 but less than £279.00 your award will be 7.5% of the council tax charge.
  • £279.00 or more you will not qualify.

The above rates are effective from 1 April 2020.

Only the gross income of any ‘second adults’ not on Income Support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, and who are not a ‘discounted person’ is used.


How to apply for Second Adult Support

The person liable for the Council Tax bill and not the 'second adult' must apply. 

Apply online for Second Adult Support

If you are unable to apply online please call our helpline on 01642 393829.

Evidence required to support your application can be uploaded using the online evidence form.

Evidence of Identity and National Insurance Number – original documents are not required at this present time and evidence can be uploaded using the online evidence form.

Please note - The online claim form cannot be submitted until all mandatory questions are answered.  You can identify where there are errors on the form by selecting the Show Errors button.  Customers using a mobile device will find the Show Errors button in the Menu option at the top of the screen.


Reporting Changes

If you have been awarded Second Adult Support you must tell us of any changes that affect your award, such as:

  • Adults moving into or leaving your home.
  • A change in the income of any adults living with you.
  • If you move home.

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction