For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Council Tax information for landlords

Register to use our landlord facility online

If you are a landlord of a property within the Stockton Borough, you can register to view your Council Tax, Business Rates and Landlord Housing Benefit payments online.

Once you have registered you will receive an email confirming your account username and instructions on how to complete the registration process.

Register for an online account

If you have already registered, you can view your account online.


Council Tax information for landlords

As a landlord renting out a property, it is important that you understand your responsibilities for paying Council Tax. This depends on what sort of letting arrangements you have.


When is the tenant responsible?

The tenant (or tenants) are responsible for the Council Tax when you rent the whole of the property to one person or family, or to joint tenants. We send the bill to your tenant(s).


When is the landlord responsible?

If you rent out the property to several people, and they each have an individual tenancy agreement to occupy only part of the building - called a 'house in multiple occupation' (HMO) - you are responsible for paying the Council Tax. We send the bill to you. 

Under Council Tax regulations, where a property is not anyone’s main residence, it is the owner of the property who becomes responsible for Council Tax. 

An owner is a person who satisfies the following conditions:

a) That they have a material interest in the whole or any part of the dwelling; and

b) That at least part of the dwelling (or as the case may be the part concerned) is not subject to a material interest inferior to their interest.


What happens if a tenant moves out before the end of their tenancy agreement?

A tenant with a fixed-term tenancy for six months or more moves out before the end of the fixed term, will become liable for unoccupied charges until their tenancy end-date. However, a tenant on a periodic or rolling tenancy cannot be held liable for any unoccupied charge due.


What is a periodic tenancy?

Once a tenant’s fixed-term tenancy expires, if they stay on without a new fixed-term tenancy being drawn up then their tenancy becomes a periodic or rolling one, which means they no longer hold a material interest in the property. So although they can be charged for the period they are living in the property, they cannot be charged for any Council Tax charges if they move out and the property becomes no one’s main residence, even if they haven’t given the you notice in accordance with their tenancy agreement or indeed handed the keys back.


Change of address 

You can use the forms below to report if a tenant moves in or out of your property. You will need your tenant’s name, previous or forwarding address and the names of any other people aged 18 or over who live with the tenant.  Please do NOT tell us about a change of address more than 14 days before the tenant is due to move.

Please provide your own details in the Advisor section.

Tell us a tenant has moved into a property

Tell us a tenant has moved out of a property 


Are you a Charitable Organisation?

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. If you are a Charitable Organisation you may be eligible for a discount. Apply for class B exemption here.


Further information

If you haven’t found what you’re looking for, please contact us using our online contact form.

Contact us online about council tax


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction