The Government has announced 'Local COVID alert level: high' restrictions for Stockton-on-Tees.

For further information about the rules and disruptions to Council services visit

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Housing, Welfare and Financial Support

There is lots of support available to those who are struggling financially as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Listed below are some useful links and information. 


Council Tax 

We appreciate that people may be struggling to pay their Council Tax. Although the Government has not suspended the requirement to pay Council Tax, we understand that you may be finding it difficult to pay.

Depending on your income you may be eligible for Council Tax Support, for more information and to apply click here.

Don’t worry if you have missed all or part of your Council Tax payment, please call us, on 01642 397108 as we may be able to help and offer support. You may be referred to our Welfare Support Team who are on hand to help you apply for other benefits you may be entitled to and to make sure you claim the benefit that’s right for you.


Payments of Council Tax

If you would like to pay your bill you will be able to do that at our cash offices from Monday 20 July. Safety measures will be in place and the opening times will be Monday to Friday, 10am-1pm and 2pm-4pm.

We can also take payment over the telephone by credit or debit card. Our automated service is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The telephone number is 0330 555 6780 and all you will need is your payment card and the eight digit account number on the front of your bill.


Test & Trace Support Scheme

The Government has introduced a Test and Trace Support payment to help those who are struggling to self-isolate due to their financial position. Please visit the Test and Trace Support Scheme web page to find out more or to start your application.


Hardship Fund

In March the Government launched a Hardship Fund and the Council is using its share of the £500 million to make local Council Tax Support reductions. Revised Council Tax bills incorporating additional reductions of up to £150 for all working age recipients of Council Tax Support have been issued. This additional discount of up to £150 will also be applied to people who become eligible for working age Council Tax Support during the rest of the 2020/21 financial year.

Further information on Council Tax can be found here.


Welfare Support for Vulnerable Customers

Welfare assistance is available for vulnerable customers from a discretionary scheme which provides support to residents in crisis situations as well as those settling into the community.

The support available may take the form of a grant or a loan or a combination of the two.

Crisis Support

Crisis support is available if you are 16 or over, a resident of Stockton Borough and have no other means of financial assistance. 

Settlement Support

Settlement support is available if you are 16 or over, a resident of Stockton Borough (or moving into Stockton Borough as part of a planned resettlement programme) and have no other means of financial assistance. For more information and how to apply, please visit our welfare support for vulnerable customers page.

Benefits Maximisation

Our Welfare Rights Officers provide free, confidential, independent and impartial advice and information on welfare benefits to Stockton Borough Council residents. The service recognises that individuals must make their own decisions and will provide the information they need to be able to exercise their rights. Further information can be found on our Housing Benefit help and advice page.



If you rent a home from a private landlord we offer a wide range of support packages to help with issues such as financial problems or difficulties with your landlord. For help and advice call 01642 526619 or email [email protected]

If you are a private sector landlord and you would like help and advice, or have any concerns regarding your tenants ability to maintain their tenancy please contact the us by calling 01642 526619 or email [email protected]

Information on Housing Benefit

Information on Homelessness

Information on Help for Private Tenants


Advice and Guidance

For information on Housing Benefits and Under Occupied Social Sector Tenants

For information on Benefits Advice and Guidance

For information on Universal Credit