Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2022/23 Consultation
Each year the Council has to decide whether to change the Council Tax Reduction Scheme for working age applicants in the Borough. Council Tax Reduction is how the Council helps people on a low income to pay their Council Tax bill.
We have launched a consultation to seek your views on proposed changes to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme. The consultation asks for the views of residents on whether to increase the maximum level of support offered under the scheme along with a number of proposed changes, including the introduction of a new income banded system.
The changes only apply to working age customers. The scheme for pension age customers is set by Government and is not affected by any of the options set out in the consultation.
The changes being proposed are to significantly change the Council Tax Reduction Scheme to:
- Increase the level of support for those applicants on the lowest incomes.
- Make the scheme easier for residents to understand and access
- Provide greater stability to those who are in receipt of support
- Make the scheme work better with the Universal Credit award system
- Build in capacity to better manage increase in demand, and;
- Reduce administration costs which will ultimately prevent any additional costs being added to the Council Tax.
The consultation is open until 22 August 2021 and can be completed online using the link below, or by requesting a paper copy by emailing [email protected] or calling 01642 526207.
If you have any questions, please check our Frequently Asked Questions document or call 01642 526207.