Register a birth

A baby playing with number blocks

For the latest Coronavirus updates and information including advice and support for residents and businesses visit

To find out how to get a Coronavirus test visit

Your baby should be registered within 42 days of birth.

If the baby's natural parents were married to each other at the time of the birth, then either of you can register the baby.

If you are the mother and not married to baby's natural father you can register the baby yourself but if you wish to have the father's details shown in the birth entry then the father must attend with you. If he is unable to attend with you please contact the Register Office for advice.


Where to register a birth

A birth must be registered in the district in which it occurred eg. a baby born at the University Hospital of North Tees must be registered in Stockton-on-Tees. If you gave birth outside of the Stockton Borough please see the 'Register a birth by declaration' section below.

Contact the Register Office to make an appointment to register a birth.


Information required to register a birth

You will need to provide the following information to allow us to register a birth:

  • Date and place of baby's birth.
  • Full names and the surname chosen for the baby.
  • Whether the baby is a boy or girl.
  • Full name, occupation, place and date of birth, current address of the mother, and the maiden name if married.
  • Full name, occupation, place and date of birth, current address of the father (if the father is to be included in the birth record).
  • If parents are married, the month and year of marriage and the number of children the mother has had previously.
  • Baby's NHS number, normally printed on the 'cot card or 'red book' from the hospital.
  • When attending to register you will be asked questions regarding names, dates and addresses which will feed into the register entry.  To help ensure the accuracy of the information recorded it would be useful if you could bring supporting documentation with you (e.g. passport, driving license, utility bill, birth and marriage certificates).

Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the birth.


Fees and birth certificate

There is no charge for registering a birth.

Birth certificates can be purchased from the Registrar. The cost of a certificate is £11.

Any person born on or after 1 January 1983 applying for their first passport will need to supply a full birth certificate which provides additional information about parentage.


Register a birth by declaration

If you don't live in the area that your baby was born it is possible to attend any Register Office in England and Wales to make a 'Birth Declaration'.

You provide the information necessary to register the birth which is then forwarded to the area where the birth occurred.

Registering a birth by declaration is similar to registering a birth in the usual way. The Registrar will post the declaration to the Stockton Register Office and we will forward your baby's documents to you through the post.

Contact the Register Office to make an appointment to register a birth by declaration.


Re-registering a child's birth

If as parents you were not married to each other at the time of your child's birth, and although you may have given the child your partner's surname, if you later marry each other there is a requirement in law for you to apply for the child's birth to be re-registered.

There is no fee for re-registration.

Contact the Register Office to make an appointment to register a birth by declaration.


'Tell Us Once' service

When you register a birth we can help you tell the people who need to know with the 'Tell Us Once' service.

When you have had a baby there are lots of things that you need to organise - contacting the government departments and local council services that need to be told about the birth will be just a few of things on your list of tasks. Instead of you needing to contact all of them individually, we can do this for you as part of the 'Tell Us Once' service.

The following organisations can be contacted if you ask us to:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Housing Benefit office
  • Children's services (family Information services)

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations we contact for you and so that you get the most out of the service it will help if you can bring along with you the following information:

  • Birth certificate (you may be registering the birth directly before you use this service).
  • A completed claim form for child benefit (if you are making a claim), along with the envelope provided please bring a stamp with you.
  • The National Insurance number and/or date of birth, address and telephone number of the person/s named on the birth register.
  • Details of benefits the person/s named on the birth register.
  • The partner of the person named on the birth register, (if they live in the same household) including their national insurance number and/or date of birth and information about any benefits they may be receiving.

You will need to get the permission from these people to tell us about them before you use the service.

To use the 'Tell Us Once' service you should ask for this to be included when you make an appointment to register a birth.



Personal information collected from you in order to register an event is required by law. Further information on data held by the registration service and a full list of the organisations with whom registration data is shared, the purpose and the lawful basis for sharing the data can be found on our privacy notices page. Alternatively, officers at the Register Office will be able to provide the information, please contact 01642 527720.