Stockton Council has scored a hat trick after being shortlisted for the third year in a row for the prestigious Council of the Year Award in the Association of Public Service Excellence (APSE) awards.
Stockton Council won the award in 2010 and was again shortlisted last year.
As well as being nominated by APSE for the Council of the Year Award, Stockton has been nominated in nine of 21 separate categories – the largest number of nominations for any local authority in the history of the awards.
Councillor Bob Cook, Leader of Stockton Council, said: "It is a fantastic accolade to be shortlisted in the overall Council of the Year award for the third year running.
"We were delighted to have been nominated in nine different categories and now to be among the best in the whole country in the overall award is a great achievement.
Neil Schneider, Chief Executive of Stockton Council, said: "I want to say again how proud I am of all our staff. This latest recognition is testament to their dedication to providing the very best of services and going the extra mile for residents, despite the challenging economic climate."
This latest nomination comes on the heels of Stockton being shortlisted for the Champion of Champions title in the Britain in Bloom awards. Judges from the Royal Horticultural Society visited Stockton during the recent Stockton International Riverside Festival and the winner will be announced at a ceremony in October.
In the APSE awards Stockton has been shortlisted in the following categories:
- Best Local Democracy Initiative
- Best Health and Well-being Initiative
- Best Partnership Working Initiative
- Best Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Initiative
- Best Service Team: Construction and Building Service
- Best Service Team: Catering service
- Best Service Team: Waste Management and Recycling Service
- Best Service Team: Parks, Grounds and Horticultural Service
- Best Service Team: Sports, Leisure and Cultural Service
More than 360 submissions were entered for the awards from 165 different public service organisations.
The award winners will be announced by APSE on Thursday, 13 September.