Mark of excellence for Stockton-on-Tees
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council has achieved the Government's Customer Service Excellence Standard, including nine levels of 'Compliance Plus' for best practice - the most assessors have ever awarded in one visit.
The Customer Service Excellence award demonstrates that the Council consistently achieved high standards in the following areas:
- Customer Insight - how information about customers and their needs is gathered and used
- Organisational Culture - that there is a commitment throughout the Council to be customer focused
- Information and Access - that effective communication channels are in place
- Delivery - how services are delivered, the outcomes for customers and how problems are managed
- Timeliness and Quality of Service - how these are combined to ensure the best possible results for customers
Independent assessors spent a week at the Council and found 'a range of approaches used to consult and engage customers' which warranted high scoring. They also commended the Council for seeking feedback after events and consultations to ensure the needs of customers were met.
In an unprecedented move during a single visit, assessors gave nine 'Compliance Plus' levels for showing best practice which exceed the requirements of the Standard and are seen as exceptional and exemplary. They were awarded across Customer Insight, Organisational Culture, and Information and Access.
Councillor Steve Nelson, Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council's Cabinet Member for Access, Communities and Community Safety, said: "We are incredibly proud of the outcome of our assessment which recognises the needs of our residents and businesses are at the heart of everything we do.
"This is also a huge achievement for all of our staff, who remain committed to delivering public services despite increasingly challenging times."