For Coronavirus information including the current restrictions, any disruptions to Council services, how to book a COVID-19 test and the support available for residents and businesses visit www.stockton.gov.uk/coronavirus
Green waste collections from your home
Green Waste collections will return from Tuesday 13 April 2021 (red week) and will run until Friday 5 November 2021.
You can still put green waste out for collection in reusable bags (which will be returned), plastic carrier bags or bin liners (which unfortunately we cannot return).
If you are unsure if you are a blue or a red week you can find out using the following search facility.
Compost at home
Home composting is one of the most important activities you can do to help the environment, and one of the easiest. At the present time it is the most useful way of diverting your garden waste and some uncooked fruit and vegetable waste from disposal, as on average nearly 60% of your waste at home could be composted!
Composting is a natural process that decomposes kitchen and garden waste (called ‘organic’ wastes) into a nutrient rich fertiliser or soil improver for gardens and growing spaces. It is a straightforward and inexpensive process which doesn’t take much time to manage, and can be done in any small or large outdoor space including gardens and back yards.
So rather than putting green and garden waste in your domestic bin, here are some handy hints and tips on what to do at home:
- First of all find a suitable space to compost, even if it’s a small back yard, a space at the bottom of the garden, you can create a useful way of dealing with green waste.
- A home compost bin or area can deal with softer garden waste such as grass cuttings and prunings, some (uncoated) paper and cardboard, some food wastes e.g. fruit and vegetable peelings. For a really helpful full list of what can and can’t be home composted, visit the Here We Grow website.
- Down in Suffolk, schools have produced this great guide to do composting with your children. Why not try setting up a compost heap at home with your children or grandchildren using the handy hints and tips?
Purchase of additional green waste bags
All recycling equipment requests including the purchase of garden waste bags must be reserved before collection.
Please contact our Care for your Area Helpline to reserve your items, telephone: 01642 391959. The price for green waste bags and clear plastic rolls is £4.00 each.
You will be able to collect and pay for your reservation from the following locations:
- Stockton Library, Stockton Town Centre
- Thornaby Library, Thornaby Town Centre
- Billingham Library, Billingham Town Centre