Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for our places and open spaces

How to apply for social housing

council tax

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

Applying for a home - Choice Based Lettings Scheme

In July 2009 a change in the way which vacant properties are allocated took place across the Tees Valley.

The Choice Based Lettings scheme (CBL) replaced the old points- based system with one of bidding, and rather than just choosing certain areas of preference, people on the Tees Valley Common Housing Register can now register an interest in an individual property.

Compass is the CBL for the Tees Valley area and is made up of a number of councils and partner organisations. 


Search for a Social or Private Rented Properties on the Compass website

If you wish to apply for a socially rented property you will need to join the Tees Valley Common Housing Register.

By registering you will have the option to search for available homes, bid for your preferred properties and find out about other housing options.

For further assistance with an application you can contact Thirteen with the methods listed below.

Telephone: 0300 111 1000

Email: [email protected]