Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for our places and open spaces

Helping Hand scheme and adaptations for disabled people

home ownership

Through the Helping Hand scheme, we can help homeowners to live in warm, safe and secure homes.

Advice and practical support is available to all homeowners, as well as the possibility of financial help.

It does not matter about your age, income or where you live, we may be able to help you to:

  • Identify what is wrong with your home, and what is needed to put it right.
  • Understand how to carry out home maintenance, preventative and improvement works or access the local 'Handy Person' Service where this exists and you are eligible for help.
  • Work out what the work may cost if a contractor is required, and to investigate the options for funding the work. This may include help to consider charitable or family funding, use of insurance cover, or how an Independent Financial Advisor may be able to help.
  • Choose a suitable contractor to get fair estimates for the work, and to manage the contractor while works are being carried out.
  • Decide whether staying put or moving home offers the better solution for your needs.


Financial help for essential home improvements

If you are struggling to afford to keep your home safe and comfortable to live in, an affordable loan may be available too.

Financial Assistance is only available to remedy any Category 1 Hazards that are present in an owner-occupiers home (i.e. conditions that could seriously affect the health and well-being of the occupier).

The loan could be used to:

  • make essential repairs
  • provide a new kitchen or bathroom
  • install double glazing
  • renew the electrical wiring
  • provide a new and efficient heating system

The terms of loans available vary from those that can be paid back in affordable instalments over many years, or a loan that is paid back when you choose to sell your home or it is inherited by a member of your family.

It may even be interest-free depending on your circumstances.


Eligibility for the Helping Hand scheme

If you are a home owner aged 18 years or over, have owned and lived in your home for the past 12 months and are struggling to finance the repair of your home, please contact us to make an enquiry.

  • Contact our Housing Regeneration and Investment team on 01642 526620


Home adaptations for people with a disability

If you, or a family member, have a disability we may be able to help with adaptations of your home so that you can continue to live there, despite the disability.

Before your home can be adapted, an assessment of your needs will have to be undertaken by a member of the Council's Occupational Therapy team.

If you are assessed as needing adaptations to your home the team will work with other services across the Council to arrange for the necessary adaptations to be undertaken.

Visit the Adult Services section to find out additional information for disability adaptations.