Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for our places and open spaces

Housing Benefit

council tax

Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance help people on a low income to pay their rent.

The amount of any benefit depends on your particular circumstances and takes into account:

  • Your (and any partner's) income and savings
  • Who lives in your household
  • The amount of rent you pay

If you rent your home from a private landlord we may not work out your housing benefit on the full rent charged but on the relevant Local Housing Allowance Rate.

If you rent your home from a social landlord the rent used to work out your Housing Benefit may be reduced if you have more bedrooms than you need.

You may not be able to claim Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance if you have claimed Universal Credit. Universal Credit will cover help with your housing costs unless you are in Supported Accommodation.


Making a claim

You can find how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may be entitled to before you make a claim by using the benefit calculator.

To make a claim or discuss your individual circumstances, please call our helpline on 01642 393829.


Requesting Housing Benefit for two homes

There are certain times when it is unavoidable to pay rent on two homes and in these cases we may be able to pay benefit on both.

Apply for Housing Benefit for two homes


Payment of Housing Benefit direct into your account

Your Housing Benefit can be paid directly into your bank account or building society current account. We cannot pay benefit into post office accounts.

Apply to have your Housing Benefit paid directly into your account


Advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Find out how you can get advice and guidance about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.