Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for an outstanding Borough

Apply for a licence to work on a highway


There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

The following information may be useful to people looking to carry out work on a public highway.


Skip licences

Anyone who wishes to put a skip on the highway must obtain a licence.

Stockton Council will remove unlicensed skips and place them in storage. All costs associated with this will be forwarded to the offending company.  We charge £15 to cover the associated costs of this service.

Guidelines issued by Stockton Council must be followed in order to ensure that the licence remains valid.

  • Telephone Care For Your Area on 01642 391959 


Scaffolding Licence

If you intend to erect scaffolding on any part of an adopted highway you will need to apply for a licence from the Council.

The licence is free and effective for 2 weeks from issue.

  • Telephone Care for Your Area on 01642 391959


Driveway / vehicle crossing licence

It is illegal to place materials or ramps in the street to create a driveway crossing.

A vehicle crossing (sometimes known as a dropped kerb) is needed for vehicular access to a property or business to prevent both damage to the footway and the vehicle crossing the footway.

  • Telephone us on 01642 391959 for a free, no obligation quote for a vehicle crossing outside of your home

You can hire a private contractor to carry out the work to provide a vehicle crossing but certain criteria must be met before the works can commence, including the completion of an 'Opening Up licence' - contact us for advice before proceeding with the work. 


Section 50 Licence

A Section 50 licence is required if contractors wish to put new apparatus into the highway or to repair apparatus that is already there.

The Section 50 licence does not give permission to widen an access or construct a vehicle crossing, these are to be carried out under an Opening Up licence.

A fee is payable to Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council prior to work commencing on site.

The fee for new apparatus and repairs to existing apparatus is £400.00, which is inclusive of standard rate VAT. This is for a maximum length of 200m.

Proof of Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5 million is required to work on a public highway, footway or verge.

Operatives must have proof of Employee accreditation under the Street Works Act.


Please apply for your Section 50 Licence using this form and forward to Economic Growth and Development Services.

  • For additional information about obtaining a Section 50 licence please email [email protected].