Council Tax Energy Rebate
The Council Tax Energy Rebate is to help households with rising energy costs.
Most households in Council Tax bands A - D (or in band E and qualifying for the disabled band reduction) who were liable for Council Tax on 1 April 2022 have received a one-off upfront energy rebate of £150.
The application form to apply for the energy rebate payment has now closed.
Any unclaimed rebates will be credited to your Council Tax account on 12 September 2022. You should adjust future instalment(s) to take this into account. For example, if your next instalment is due on the 1 October 2022 for £189.00 you will simply need to pay £39.00.
I have already applied for the payment, supplied the evidence that you requested but have not received the payment.
We are dealing with these applications and will be in touch with you shortly.
My account is in credit what should I do?
If your account is in credit, visit the Open Portal to log in or register using your council tax account number to request a refund.
I pay by direct debit my account is not in credit yet what will happen to the payment?
If you are unable to adjust your instalment your final payment(s) will be reduced or not collected depending on the balance.
Discretionary energy rebate scheme
A discretionary fund is available to help households who are not in bands A-D and are in need of support.
Due to limited funding it is not possible to provide support to all households in bands E-H. Under the Council's discretionary scheme, payments will be made to the following households:
- £150 to all households in Bands E-H eligible for Council Tax Reduction on 1 April 2022
- £50 to households that are not required to pay Council Tax, and can demonstrate exposure to energy bill increases such as people who live in Houses of Multiple Occupation. Please note the discretionary fund is not available for second homes or empty properties.
- £65 to all households in band E, occupied by the Council Tax payer as their sole or main residence on 1 April 2022 and not receiving Council Tax Reduction
A direct award will be made where possible and where it is identified that the household meets the scheme criteria. However applications will be required for some households along with evidence for those not in Council Tax but stating they are energy bill payers and their bills have increased.
Properties that are eligible and pay by Direct Debit will automatically receive a payment in their bank account. If you do not pay by Direct Debit you can apply for a payment using the following form:
Please do not call us to enquire about this at this time as we do not have any further information. We will contact residents directly should they be required to take any action to secure this payment.
Where can I find out more information?
Find more information on the GOV.UK website - Households urged to get ready for £150 council tax rebate.
What is the eligibility of the Council Tax Energy Rebate
You are eligible for the £150 council tax energy rebate if you are liable to pay council tax at the property on 1 April 2022, and the property is:
- in Council Tax band A, B, C or D
- in Council Tax band E but disabled band reduction applies, so you pay band D charge
- someone's sole or main residence
You are not eligible if:
- the property is a second home
- the property is unoccupied
- the liable Council Tax payer for the property does not occupy the property