Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for keeping our communities safe

Performing Animals Registration

Licence Summary

The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 requires any person who exhibits or trains any performing (vertebrate) animal to be registered with a local authority. The term "exhibit" is defined as "exhibit at any entertainment to which the public are admitted, whether on payment of money or otherwise…"and to "train" means "for the purpose of any such exhibition".

Applicants must not have been previously convicted under any of the following Acts:

  • The Protection of Animals Act 1911
  • The Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912
  • The Protection of Animals (Cruelty to Dogs) (Scotland) Act 1934
  • The Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Or any offence under any of Sections 4,5,6(1) and (2), 7 to 9 and 11 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.


Regulation Summary

Copies of relevant legislation can be found on the website.


Application Process

To apply for, or vary, a registration certificate to allow animals to perform applicants must complete and submit the appropriate application form accompanied by the fee of £120.00.

When determining the application we will take into consideration whether:

  • animals will have access to suitable accommodation at all times, with regard to the size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, and cleanliness;
  • animals will be suitably fed, watered and visited at suitable intervals;
  • all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread among animals of infectious diseases;
  • appropriate steps will be taken to protect the animals in the event of a fire or other emergency;
  • anyone in contact with the animals should be made aware of any risks associated with such contact;
  • all the necessary risk assessments should have been conducted on the proposed performances to be engaged in by the animals.

A Licensing Officer from the Council will visit the premises as proposed to be used to ensure that they comply with the above. In certain circumstances a veterinary inspection may also be undertaken, if considered necessary.

It is our aim to complete the application process within 30 working days.


How To Apply

To apply for, or vary a Performing Animals Registration Certificate please complete the appropriate form below. 

Application Form pdf Apply online
Application For A Performing Animals Registration Certificate View View
Application To Vary A Performing Animals Registration Certificate View View


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit consent does not apply in respect of this application. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or contact us.


Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction