Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for keeping our communities safe

Hairdressing Registration

Licence Summary

It is now an offence to operate a barbers or hairdressing establishment, or to act as a hairdresser without first becoming registered with your local authority.


Regulation Summary

Hairdressers and Barbers are regulated by the County of Cleveland Act 1987 and Local Byelaws.


Application Process

Registration is required for both the person carrying out the business of hairdressing and the premises where the activity is to take place. A one-off fee is payable, to register the premises and one person; additional persons can be added for a supplementary fee.

A fee of £82.00 is payable for an application. The fee for additional practitioners is £38.00 When an application is received the council will arrange for an inspection of the premises to be carried out.

It is our aim to complete the application process within 28 working days (subject to a satisfactory inspection).

After a satisfactory inspection you will be issued with a certificate of registration which should be displayed in a prominent position on the premises where the activities take place.

Once a registration has been granted, you will only need to update it if you relocate your premises or move to another hairdressing establishment.


How To Apply

To apply for a Hairdressing Registration please complete the appropriate form below. 

Application Form pdf Apply online
Application For Registration As A Hairdresser View View
Application For An Additional Practitioner View  


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit consent does apply in respect of this application.


Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction