Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for keeping our communities safe

Acupuncture, Tattooing, Piercing and Electrolysis

Licence Summary

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 and Local Government Act 2003 requires that to offer skin-piercing treatments - including tattooing, acupuncture, cosmetic piercing (ear and body) and electrolysis - both the person performing the treatment and the premises must be registered with the Local Authority.


Regulation Summary

Copies of relevant legislation is available on the website.  


Application Process

Registration is required for both the person carrying out the business and the premises where the activity is to take place. A one-off fee is payable, to register the premises and a person.

When an application is received the council will arrange for an inspection of the premises to be carried out.

It is our aim to complete the application process within 20 working days (subject to a satisfactory inspection).

After a satisfactory inspection you will be issued with a certificate of registration which should be displayed in a prominent position on the premises where the activities take place.

Once a registration has been granted, you will only need to update it if you relocate your premises or move to another establishment.

The fee for registration of both the person carrying out the business and the premises is £120.00

An individual registration is required for a  person who is self-employed and working at a premise which is already registered.  The fee for this Registration is £38.00.


How To Apply

To apply for a Registration please download and complete the form below.

Application For Registration For Acupuncture, Tattooing, Ear Piercing and Electrolysis - Download pdf

Application For Registration For Acupuncture, Tattooing, Ear Piercing and Electrolysis - Apply On Line 


Guidance Notes

To view guidance documents please select the appropriate link below:

Acupuncture Byelaws

Ear-Piercing and Electrolysis Byelaws

Tattooing Byelaws


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Tacit consent means that if we have not dealt with applications within the target period then the application can be deemed to have been granted/approved.

Please note that tacit consent does not apply in respect of this application. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact the Licensing Service on telephone: 01642 526558 or alternatively email us at [email protected]. You can also do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service.


Licence Holder Redress

Please contact the Licensing Service in the first instance on telephone: 01642 526558 or alternatively email us at [email protected].


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, visit our Consumer pages or for advice. From outside of the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction