Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for keeping our communities safe

How to report anti-social behaviour

anti social behaviour

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

We will not tolerate anti-social and offensive behaviour of any kind. If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour in your area, contact the Civic Enforcement Service or in an emergency contact the police.


Contact the Civic Enforcement Service 

You can contact us using the contact details that are displayed on the right hand side of this page.

Your concerns will be passed on to a dedicated officer for that area who will be able to offer advice and information, and take action where necessary.


Offensive incidents

An offensive incident is any incident which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be the result of hate or prejudice, as a result of the victim's gender, race, religion, disability, age or sexual orientation. Please be assured that all the information you supply will be dealt with in the strictest confidence.

Read the Stop Offensive Behaviour leaflet for more information.


Underage sales

The sales of age-restricted items such as alcohol is often linked to antisocial behaviour. You can report incidents such as this via our online suspected sales of age-restricted items form. 


What we can do about anti-social behaviour

Arcc is a consortium consisting of agencies from the public, private and Third sectors in the North East, including Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council.

The organisation has come together as a result of leading organisations in the area recognising that the future prosperity and quality of life in the North East depends on a new approach – an approach that builds new alliances and demonstrates the benefits of doing things differently.

To this end arcc is bidding for one of the new Government contracts under the Transforming Rehabilitation agenda, which are to replace the current 35 Probation Trusts in England and Wales. arcc is only bidding for the Durham and Tees Valley contract.

Visit the arcc website for further information or telephone: 01642 233730.

Our Civic Enforcement Team can take a number of actions to reduce the level of anti-social behaviour.


Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs)

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts are negotiated contracts between people to set out acceptable behaviour. They are used by the Civic Enforcement Service in partnership with other agencies such as the Police, Thirteen Group, the Fire Service and Housing Associations. The contracts can run for a specified time and can contain prohibitions such as not to go into a particular area, not to swear, not to throw stones. The content of the contract will be drawn up using evidence that has been gathered and failure to comply with the agreed terms can result in an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction or Criminal Behaviour Order being sought where appropriate.


Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions (ASBIs) and Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs)

Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions (ASBIs) are civil injunctions and do not give the individual a criminal record. ASBIs have been introduced as one of the replacements for the ASBO(Anti Social Behaviour Order); it can tackle a diverse range of anti-social behaviour problems.

Not only can it prohibit behaviour, it can require the individual to take positive action in dealing with the underlying cause of said behaviour. If positive action is required, the authority must feel this is necessary and appoint an individual/organisation to ensure compliance with this.

A Criminal Behaviour Order (CBOs) focuses on more serious offenders, who engage in criminal activity as well as anti-social behaviour. It can only be issued in conjunction with a sentence that is already imposed or if the individual has a conditional discharge.

The order will either prohibit specified acts or require the offender to participate in specified acts e.g. attendance at a course to reduce behaviour. Before imposing an order the court must be satisfied that the offender has engaged in such behaviour causing harassment/distress and that making the order will encourage the offender to stop said behaviour.

For further details visit the Safer Stockton Partnership section.



The Council can only apply for an Injunction in certain situations, where the anti-social behaviour is causing serious problems that is affecting a community, or when there are threats or intimidation towards Council Officers.


Notice of Intention to Seek Possession (NOSP)

A NOSP can be served by a landlord where there is evidence of breach of tenancy. In most cases the NOSP will advise that eviction proceedings will not commence until 28 days after the notice has been served. In serious cases of anti-social behaviour we can ask the Court to dispense with this notice period. If you receive a NOSP you should seek legal advice immediately.



The Civic Enforcement Service works with all housing providers to gather evidence that could be used for eviction proceedings. The first stage is to serve a Notice of Intention to Seek Possession (NOSP) and this will set out the behaviour that is causing the tenancy breach. In serious cases we will ask the Court for an eviction alongside an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction or other related Injunction.


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction