Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for keeping our communities safe

Anti-social behaviour

anti social behaviour

There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

Anti-social behaviour is serious or persistent behaviour that causes harassment, alarm and distress within a community or society.

It can cover a range of issues, from annoying disturbance, such as loud music to serious acts of violence and harassment. This behaviour may be caused by individuals or involve groups of people.


Community Trigger

The Community Trigger gives victims of Anti Social Behaviour (ASB) the opportunity to request a review of their case and bring agencies together to look at a joined up, problem-solving approach to find a solution.

If you would like to make an application to activate the Community Trigger please download the application, complete and return it via email or post as detailed on the application form. Individuals from different households will need to each complete an application form indicating that it is a group application on the forms that can then be sent collectively.

The Trigger will only activate a case review where:

  • An application is made
  • There is a qualifying complaint
  • The locally defined threshold has been met.

For further detail on this please refer to the procedure that is also available to download alongside the application form.

The Community Trigger can also be used by any person on behalf of a victim, for example a family member, friend, carer, councillor, Member of Parliament or other professional person. However, the victim’s consent should be sought by the person using the Community Trigger on their behalf.

Download the Community Trigger Procedure for more information.

Download the Community Trigger Application Form.

Please note the Community Trigger is not a complaints process. If you are unhappy with the service you have received from an agency and would like to make a complaint that would be a matter for the internal complaints procedure of the agency in question.

  • For more information on how to make a complaint to Cleveland Police, please call 101 or alternatively you can visit the Cleveland Police website.
  • To make a complaint to your Housing provider please contact the relevant Landlord or Housing Association direct.

Our Civic Enforcement Team can offer advice and support to anyone who feels they are being harassed in a serious and persistent nature.

The Team may involve other authorities such as the Police, education services etc to help with your query.


If I report anti-social behaviour is it confidential?

Yes, we will treat what you tell us in strict confidence. To take action we will need to interview the alleged perpetrator, you can ask us not to do this, but we may not be able to take the case further.

If you are worried about reprisals, you can discuss these concerns with us at any time.


What happens when I complain about anti-social behaviour?

We will talk to you to find out what is happening and how you are affected, and contact may be made with other people, including the alleged perpetrator, in order to establish the facts. We can then take the following steps:

  • Warn the alleged perpetrator.
  • We may involve other agencies such as Social Services or the Police in criminal cases.
  • If you agree we may refer you to a confidential mediation service for neighbours in conflict. They may be able to find a solution that you and your neighbours are happy with.
  • There are many other services we can discuss which obviously depend on the nuisance being suffered.
  • If these options fail there are also various other legal options.


Safe at Home

The Community Safety Team in partnership with Cleveland Police co-ordinate the Safe at Home Scheme. The Scheme provides security target hardening equipment for vulnerable people who are referred into the scheme when they have been a victim of crime or are regarded as likely to become a victim. This scheme aims to assist in making people feel safer whilst remaining in their own home.

For further information please contact the Community Safety & Crime Prevention Officer on 01642 527827.


Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction