Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for the young people of our Borough

How to make a complaint about Children and Young People's Services


There are a number of disruptions to Council services because of Coronavirus (COVID-19). Please check the link below before accessing any of our services.

For details of disruptions and for advice and guidance visit

We try to provide the best possible service at all times. It is important that people who use our services tell us how we are doing. We welcome all comments, whether good or bad as a means of recognising and responding to your views and concerns. This helps us improve our services to you.

If you would like to talk to someone about how you have found our services, then any of our staff will listen to you, make a note of your views, and pass them on for attention. Alternatively you can contact our Information Governance Team or have your say by completing one of our Comments, Commendations and Complaints forms using the blue button below.

Complete the online Comments, Commendations and Complaints form       


Contact Information Governance 

Telephone: 01642 527521

Email: [email protected]

Address: Information Governance Team, Municipal Buildings, Church Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 1LD

If you are a child or young person you may wish to use one of the following downloadable leaflets to record your comments. These leaflets are for children and young people who want to have their say.

Children - You and your points of view form
This form is aimed at children aged 10 and below. 
You can also email your complaint to [email protected] or call the team on 01642 527521.

Young People – You and your points of view form 
This form is aimed at young people aged over 10.
You can also email your complaint to [email protected] or call the team on 01642 527521.

If you are an adult wishing to make a complaint about Children's Services you may wish to complete the following Comments, Commendations and Complaints form to record your comments.

When we receive your complaint we will assess it and identify which complaints procedure this falls under. You will be notified of this when we acknowledge your complaint. Further information about our complaints procedures can be found on our Customer Feedback and Complaints page.


Contact Ofsted

Ofsted is the Independent Health and Social Care Regulator for England. Ofsted provide information about the quality of Education and Social Care Services for children. 
Telephone: 0300 123 1231
Email: [email protected]


Healthwatch Stockton-on-Tees

Healthwatch Stockton-on-Tees is the local residents champion for all the Health and Social Care Services across the Borough. They are working with service users to get the most out of local Health and Social Care Services.
Visit the Healthwatch Stockton-on-Tees website for further information.