Toggle menu

Benefit fraud

If you provide false information or fail to declare a change in circumstances, you may be committing benefit fraud.

How we check the information you have supplied

All the information that you have supplied will be checked including:

  • your income
  • any capital that you have
  • people who live in your household
  • the amount of rent that is charged

We may visit you at home or write to you to check this information.

We may also cross check the information we hold against the information held by others such as:

  • The Department for Work and Pensions
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • employers
  • pension providers


Report suspected fraud

Housing Benefit fraud

Report Housing Benefit fraud online

You can also:


Council Tax Support fraud

To report suspected Council Tax Support fraud, you can:

  • contact our team on 01642 393829
  • email
  • write to Council Tax Support Investigation Team, Revenues and Benefits Service, PO Box 410, Stockton-on-Tees, TS23 2YD


Further help

If you need further help or advice contact us.

Contact us about Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support