Skip to main content
Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Big plans for great experiences

Stockton Council's web-based services (including website) will be unavailable on Saturday 18 November due to essential maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience caused

Plan your own event


The most important thing when organising an event is to plan early. Think about what you want to achieve and inform our Events Team well in advance. 

Whether you are planning a street party or music festival, Stockton's Event Team will provide practical help and advice on staging a public event safely and successfully. 


What sort of event are you planning?

How you plan an event will depend on its size and the activities taking place at the event, the following table shows how events can differ. 

Street parties and fetes Large scale public events    
For residents/neighbours only Anyone can attend
Publicity only to residents External publicity such as in newspapers     
No licences normally necessary if music incidental 
and no selling is involved
Licences usually needed. Insurance needed 
No formal risk assessment needed Event Plan required, including Health and Safety risk assessment 
Self-organised Professional/skilled organisers 


Plan a street party

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life, they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community. We want to make it easier for you to hold these sorts of local events without having to plough through mountains of forms and red tape.

If you would like to organise a street party, fete or any event where groups of residents get together all you need to do is submit the event application form at least four weeks in advance to let the council know.

Once you have submitted the event details to us our Events Team will look at what you are proposing, process your application (including any road closure information) and will let you know if there is anything else you need to consider.

View additional guidance about planning a street party.


                 Submit a street party or small community event application online                   



Plan a large scale event

If you are planning a large scale event you will need notify the Stockton Independent Safety Advisory Group (ISAG), who will provide advice and guidance to support you in staging your event. Please contact the Events Team on 01642 526750, or email, to provide details of your event.

Find advice and guidance from Stockton Borough Council’s Independent Safety Advisory Group.

Organising small, private street parties and fetes is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment. Planning a larger public event attracting more people will require a different process.

You may need to apply for certain licenses. If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21. 


 Submit an event organiser's application online


Tell us about a forthcoming event

If you have organised an event and would like it to appear on the Stockton-on-Tees events website, the earlier you provide us with the details the better. Notifying us early means your event will be promoted more effectively. If you are holding an event email the details to







Can't find it

Can't find what you're looking for? Let us know and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction