Stockton Council logo

Stockton Council serves the towns of Stockton, Norton, Billingham, Thornaby, Ingleby Barwick and Yarm


Do I need planning approval?

There are many rules governing whether planning approval is required for a development. Detailed guidance can be found on the Planning Portal website.  

You can also download and complete our Planning Permission - Initial Enquiry Form to get an idea if your development ideas will require full planning permission.  Please complete the relevant sections and submit to us by post or email 

 We will then advise if you need to apply for planning permission.

For some relatively small-scale and uncontentious types of home improvement and alteration, Permitted Development Rights for householders remove the need to apply for planning permission. Flats do not benefit from permitted development rights. We have set out below some of the developments that are covered by Permitted Development Rights.

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2013 came into effect on 30 May 2013 and with it a number of new permitted development rights. The new rights include larger rear extensions to houses and the change of use from offices to dwellings.  Many of the new rights still require you to submit your plans to the Council in advance – known as prior approval notification and the development must be completed before the 30 May 2016.

The main changes are:

  • Larger rear extensions to dwellings
  • Change of use from office Use Class B1(a) to residential dwelling(s)
  • Change of use of redundant agricultural buildings to a range of other uses
  • Temporary change of use of shops (and other similar commercial premises) to a range of other uses for up to two years
  • Larger extensions to retail, industrial, warehouse or office buildings
  • Greater flexibility in changing between the business use classes for larger buildings.

These new rules do not apply within Conservation Areas or where Permitted Developments rights have been removed.

Visit the Planning Portal website for more information about the new rights

However please contact us if you require additional advice. We provide a one-stop-shop enquiry service which can provide a no-cost informal detailed opinion on your proposed development.  This will allow you to assess a development's potential or get advice on whether you need to seek planning approval without having to submit a formal planning application.

You can contact us on or telephone (01642) 526022.

© 2013 Stockton Council