Who qualifies for free school meals?
Pupils whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals:
- Income Support (IS)
- Income based jobseekers allowance (IBJSA)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; or Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs), that as of 6th April 2011 does not exceed £16,190.
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
The following benefits do not entitle you to free school meals.
- Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Working Families Tax Credit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Incapacity Benefit
- State Pension Credit