Rented Accommodation (Private Rented)
If you rent accommodation from a Private Landlord, Letting Agency, Housing Association or University Accommodation Service you will more than likely be living in Private Rented Accommodation.
Types of Private Rented Accommodation can vary:
- Single Family Dwelling House- are houses or flats occupied by a family unit
- Houses in Multiple Occupation - are houses, flats or buildings occupied by persons who do not live together as a family unit. The more common types of Houses in Multiple Occupation are bedsits, shared houses (eg student accommodation) Bed & Breakfasts and hostels
If you live in private rented accommodation your landlord has a legal responsibility to keep your home in good repair and a safe condition. In the case of Houses in Multiple Occupation your landlord will also have to provide a basic standard of management of the property.
Our role is to improve the standard of accommodation within the private rented sector, by providing advice and assistance to both landlords and tenants.
Stockton Council is not responsible for the content of external websites.
- Report on Residential Property Tribunals under the HHSRS
- Shelter - Renting Privately
- Communities and Local Government - HHSRS Publication Guidance for Landlords and Property Related Professionals
- Communities and Local Government - Fire Safety Risk Assessment - Sleeping Accommodation
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 - OPSI
- Landlord - housing benefits, council tax and business rates form. - If you are a landlord of a property within the Stockton-on-Tees Borough, you can register to use our new online facility which allows you to view your Housing Benefit Payments, Council Tax accounts and Business Rates.
- Private Sector Enquiry Form form.