Building Control and Regulations
Building Regulations apply to many aspects of building work carried out to all types of buildings, e.g. houses, shops, offices, factories, schools, hospitals and warehouses. The Regulations also apply to minor work such as replacing windows and doors, removing internal load bearing walls, installing additional toilets or converting the roof space to a room, as well as erecting new buildings and extending property. Building Regulations may also apply when a property changes its use, e.g. from a house into flats.
If you are thinking of carrying out building work, please check with the Local Authority (using the contact details to the left of this page) in order to establish if the proposed work is subject to control under the Building Regulations
From 1st April 2013 you will no longer have the option to submit a Building Control application via the Public Access system. Electronic applications with pdf attachments can still be submitted by email to email@example.com and payment may also be made by debit/credit card over the telephone (01642) 526046
Submission and payment may also be made in person by visiting the Stockton Customer Service Centre (see address below) or you may wish to send both application and payment by post. Please note that all cheques should be made payable to 'Stockton-on Tees Borough Council'
Stockton Central Library
Office opening times: Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm
Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm
A Building Control Price List is available at the bottom of this page. For any further queries regarding a fee payment, please contact Raymond Sullivan on Tel: (01642) 526040
The Local Authority requires a demolition notice for the demolition of any building over 1750 cubic ft. Demolition can commence 6 weeks after you have submitted the notice, unless notified otherwise. See below for a copy of the demolition notice and guidance
Please send completed notices with £150 (made payable to Stockton Borough Council) to Raymond Sullivan, Municipal Buildings, Church Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 1LD or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The main purpose of the Building Regulations are to:
- Promote conservation of energy
- Secure the health and safety of people in and around buildings
- Provide access to buildings and facilities, for people of all abilities
The Regulations control the following areas:
- Structural Stability
- Fire Safety
- Site Preparation & Resistance to Moisture
- Toxic Substances
- Resistance to the Passage of Sound
- Drainage and Waste Disposal
- Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems
- Stairs, Ladders and Ramps
- Conservation of energy
- Access to/Use of buildings
- Electrical safety
Building Control and Planning Customer Service Charter
Our pledge to you
- Listen carefully whilst respecting confidentiality
- Ensure that you are treated fairly and without discrimination
- Provide clear information using plain English
- Provide a friendly, approachable and professional service
- Deal with complaints promptly & confidentially
Building Control & Planning Customer Service Standards
- Aim to answer all calls within five rings (15 seconds)
- Aim to return voice messages within 24 hours
- Normally acknowledge emails on the same day and provide a response within 10 working days
- Normally provide a response to all written correspondence and complaints within 10 working days
- Aim to make help available within ten minutes of your arrival when visiting our reception area
- Building Control Fast Track applications will be processed within three working days
- Deal with all Planning applications within the statutory period
- Maintain customer satisfaction above 75%
What happened when you asked for change?
You asked / We acted
You asked us to:
Ensure your telephone calls are dealt with in a more efficient manner
Provided extra training to Customer Service staff enabling them to transfer calls to the correct officers
You asked us to:
Inform you of any site inspections that we may make whilst you are away from home
Ensure a calling card will be left at the property providing details of the Surveyor that visited with a direct contact telephone number for you to use
Stockton Council is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Building Control Price Lists, Application forms and GuidanceBuilding Control Price Lists, Application forms and Guidance
- Building Control Full Application Form in Adobe PDF format 32 KB
- Building Control Building Notice Application Form in Adobe PDF format 54 KB
- Building Control Price Guidance Note in Microsoft Word format 670 KB
- Building Control Regularisation Application Form in Adobe PDF format 32 KB
- Building Control Service Standards in Adobe PDF format 145 KB
- Demolition Notice Guidance in Microsoft Word format 29 KB
- Demolition Notice in pdf in Adobe PDF format 311 KB
- Price Table A Create or convert a new dwelling in Microsoft Word format 80 KB
- Price Table B Domestic extensions to a domestic dwelling in Microsoft Word format 193 KB
- Price Table C Domestic alterations to a domestic dwelling in Microsoft Word format 176 KB
- Price Table D Non domestic extensions and new builds in Microsoft Word format 209 KB
- Price Table E Non domestic alterations in Microsoft Word format 85 KB
If you have problems accessing the Adobe PDF downloads then click here for help
Building Control and Regulations
- Regularisation Applications
- Do I need to apply for Building Regulations?
- Do I submit a Full application or a Building Notice application?
- How do I make an application?
- How long does approval last?
- How long does it take to obtain approval?
- How much will Building Regulations cost?
- Is Building Regulation Approval the same as Planning Permission?
- Part P Electrical Safety
- What happens if I contravene the Building Regulations?
- When can I start work?
- Why might my plans be rejected?