Common Assessment Framework (CAF)
The Common Assessment Framework (CAF) is a national standardised approach that is used across all services working with children, young people and their families.
It is a holistic assessment tool that summarises a child's strengths, needs and goals after considering all aspects of his/her life, family and environment.
The Common Assessment Framework is designed to be shared between professionals and used as a starting point for planning co-ordinated multi-agency support. The CAF process is underpinned by collaborative partnership working with families and the child or young person.
The purpose of the Common Assessment Framework
The Common Assessment Framework process for children, young people and families will help agencies meet the obligations set by Sections 10 and 11 of the Children Act 2004 to make arrangements to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people. The CAF process will help early identification of need and promote co-ordinated service provision for children with additional needs.
This procedure applies to all professionals working, or coming into contact with, all children, young people and families.
Stockton's process is broken down into five steps which provide a robust and fluid system for practitioners to use.
CAF 3 is a Common Referral Form and/or a 'Team around the Child (TAC) Invite' to services.
CAF 4 is used for reviewing and planning.
CAF Closure form is to enable the practitioner to inform all services that the CAF episode has finished.
For further information and support with the Common Assessment Framework please contact the CAF Co-ordinator by email CAF@stockton.gcsx.gov.uk or telephone (01642) 527241.
Stockton Council is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Common Assessment Framework - forms (pdf version)
- CAF Closure white in Adobe PDF format 38 KB
- CAF1 white in Adobe PDF format 67 KB
- CAF2 white in Adobe PDF format 62 KB
- CAF3 white in Adobe PDF format 47 KB
- CAF4 white in Adobe PDF format 55 KB
Common Assessment Framework - forms (word version)
- CAF Closure white in Microsoft Word format 306 KB
- CAF1 white in Microsoft Word format 187 KB
- CAF2 white in Microsoft Word format 374 KB
- CAF3 white in Microsoft Word format 301 KB
- CAF4 white in Microsoft Word format 335 KB
Common Assessment Framework - supporting documentsDocuments from the Every Child Matters website relating to the Common Assessment Framework
- Common Assessment Framework - Continuum of Need in Adobe PDF format 859 KB
- Common Assessment Framework - frequently asked questions in Adobe PDF format 392 KB
- Common Assessment Framework - full procedure in Adobe PDF format 829 KB
- Common Assessment Framework - policy in Adobe PDF format 64 KB
- Common Assessment Framework - quick guide in Adobe PDF format 78 KB
- Common Assessment Framework 1 - guidance notes in Microsoft Word format 282 KB
- Common Assessment Framework and schools fact sheet in Adobe PDF format 153 KB
- Common Assessment Framework Fact Sheet in Adobe PDF format 84 KB
- Continuum of Need and Services in Adobe PDF format 1651 KB
If you have problems accessing the Adobe PDF downloads then click here for help